Dog training Des Moines area offers many choices for your best friend. Yes, your fur babies are like babies – they need the right training to form discipline and strengthen their character. So how to choose the best trainer for your dog? Don’t worry. Here, we’ll explain everything you need to know about dog training.
Why Is Training Important?
Many people enroll their fur babies in dog training classes because training is an essential part of having a dog. Training builds your pup’s confidence, provides mental stimulation, and strengthens the bond between you and your pet. Professional trainers can be relied on to achieve these benefits.
An excellent certified dog trainer can come up with a curriculum that not only provides physical exercise but also mental stimulation for dogs. Both are very important for their well-being. Physical and mental activity is also beneficial to build confidence for anxious or timid dogs.
Lastly, the best dog training Des Moines is constructive and gives us a feeling of accomplishment as we learn to communicate with our dogs. Positive attention during training builds our connection with our dogs. Furthermore, training means more time spent with our dogs, which they love.
When Should You Start Training Your Dog?
Some specific types of training, like service dog training, can’t begin until your dog reaches a certain age. However, between the age of 6 to 16 weeks, your puppy is at a perfect growth stage for socialization with other dogs and people. So, it’s better to start training your dogs as soon as you welcome them home, even if they’re still very young.
You can find dog training Des Moines offering classes to socialize and start training your puppies. As they reach adolescence (age 8 to 18 months), they might start showing their rebellious streak, so it’s better to get them trained before they arrive at this stage. Nevertheless, even adult dogs can learn new tricks with the right trainer and support. Generally, training benefits dogs of all ages.
How To Choose The Best Trainers?
Are you Googling “dog training near me” to find the best trainer for your pup? Before you do that, you need to know what you must look for in a professional dog trainer. We have listed some factors that you should keep in mind if you want the best trainer for your dog. Generally, a good trainer:
- Is also a good communicator: Find a person who listens and communicates well, not only with the dog but also with you. Professional dog training Des Moines trainers make the effort to learn about your dog by asking questions and listening to your concerns. They also let you know the basic expectations of the training regime.
- Cares about your dog: An excellent trainer from a good dog trainer certification should know your dog’s personality and background. This way, if your dog shows a “challenging” behavior, they could quickly spot the root causes and address them accordingly and appropriately.
- Involves you in the training: There are dog training Des Moines that would suggest that all members of your household attend the first training sessions. This is to make sure that everyone adopts the same command language so that your dog is conditioned more easily. Additionally, capable trainers are always clear about your pup’s progress.
- Uses positive reinforcement, always: There are dog training classes that use negative reinforcement such as punishment to teach your dog. You might want to avoid such trainers, especially if your dog displays difficult behaviors such as anxiety or aggressiveness. Negative reinforcement might backfire in such cases.
- Has credible references: Googling “dog training near me” is insufficient. Make sure that your potential trainer has solid references. Don’t trust trainers that wouldn’t let you ask their past clients about their experience. Ask your friends, family, and acquaintances for references. Alternatively, you might find reviews from dog lover communities in your area.
You Are Still The Primary Trainer!
Even if your dog is in highly specialized training, such as service dog training, you are still your canine companion’s primary trainer. Dogs are extremely intelligent creatures that are always learning by observation and doing. Since you are the person that spends the most time with your pet, your dog picks up on your behaviors, whether you intend them or not.
Moreover, although you’ve registered for a top-quality dog training Des Moines, your dog trainer won’t be around all the time. You have to take part in the learning by doing simple training exercises to reinforce what your dog learns in puppy school.
What You Can Do To Reinforce Training
- Practice a routine: This includes basic commands such as “sit” and “stay”, or leash manners to practice during its morning walk. Any experienced professional with a dog trainer certification should guide you through an obedience training routine that you can do with your dog at home. A consistent routine solidifies what your dog learns from class.
- Make use of treats: Treats with strong smells such as string cheese or beef jerky are very useful as rewards because canine brains have an impressive association between smell and memory. Unsurprisingly, a certified dog trainer would highlight the importance of treats. But if snacks can’t motivate your dogs, use their beloved toys instead.
- Use a training collar: Get a handy dog training collar that you can find easily in any pet shop. Collars are an important training tool along with leashes. Together, they guarantee that there is no destruction of property either outdoors or indoors while you’re training your dog. Flat-buckle collars are good for most dogs, but smaller dogs might work better with more flexible harnesses.
- Slow and steady wins the race: Remember that you can’t rush the learning process with your dog. When you’re exercising at the gym, you can’t exert yourself too much. The same principle applies to training your dog. Any dog training Des Moines will advise that you take it easy and don’t rush your beloved pet if they can’t get things right fast.