Training puppy to sit is an essential part of shaping your dog’s behavior. It is the basis of the puppy’s early training. However, not many people know how to do it correctly or effectively. So, here we have some information for you on how to teach a dog to sit. There is one easy method you can use here. It is called the capturing method, which is one of the best and effective training you can use.
This training puppy to sit has several steps you need to follow. Here is what you need to do:
- Take some dog food and stand in front of it,
- Wait until your puppy sits. Once your puppy did that, say “yes” clearly to show that was the correct response. Then, give it the food or treats that you hold,
- Try to move backward or sideways, while keeping your puppy sit and wait,
- If your puppy keep sitting and waiting before you call it, give another treat,
- Repeat the process above until your puppy gets used to that activity.
- Now, to ensure that when you say “sit” is recognized as the command to tell your puppy to sit, wait until your puppy begins to sit, then say “sit” right at that moment.
- Repeat the process until your puppy instinctively sits when you command them with the word “sit.”
Capturing method works and is quite easy to do, even for the beginner. However, one thing that you should remember is never to give your puppy a physical punishment during this method. Otherwise, it will stress him out and be unable to form this habit and obedience. That is all that you need to know about training puppy to sit. Be patient and continuous when you train your puppy because those two are essential to get the best result.